Welcome to the Master Photography Roundtable part of the Master Photography Podcast Network! You are joined by thousands of photographers listening to this show who are all on the same journey to master their photography. I am Brent Bergherm, the host for this episode, and I am joined by Juan Pons!
Juan, thank you for joining us, I’m very much looking forward to talking about the new Sony A7s3 that was just announced a couple days ago.
SONY A7s3 Camera and other Sony stuffs
Sony recently announced a new camera and I wanted to use this to talk a bit about the Sony system. Here at Master Photo Podcast, I think all of us are Canon shooters. So when Canon releases something we naturally get excited. However, there’s certainly so many others out there and I wanted to bring some attention to the new Sony announcement. And I needed to do it justice, so I figured I’d bring a Sony shooter on and that’s why Juan is here.
Juan, let’s take a look at a few specs, and then we can talk about them and think about how practical it is for photographers, and videographers.
Main Specs list.
This is largely copied from their website here: https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-announces-the-a7s-iii-redefining-the-possibilities-for-creatives/
And other info coming from DP Review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7s-iii-initial-review
- Newly developed BIONZ XR™ image processing engine with eight times more processing power and a brand new 12.1-megapixel (approx., effective) back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor, significantly reduced rolling shutter effect
Rolling shutter explained beautifully in this video: https://youtu.be/dNVtMmLlnoE
- Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO range expandable from 40 – 409,600, and improved image quality by approximately 1 stop noise reduction(4) in the middle and high sensitivity ranges – super clean at 16000
- Video recording capabilities include 4K 120pi, 10 bit 4:2:2 color depth, All-Intra recording, XAVC HS format with H.265 codec and more
- 15+ stop dynamic range for movies(2)
- 4K 60p 16-bit RAW video HDMI output for the first time in the Alpha™ series
- Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 point phase-detection AF sensors covering 92% of image sensor
- Enhanced Real-time Eye AF for movie recording and still image recording
- New heat dissipating mechanism and dual slot relay recording enables over one-hour long 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization supports handheld movie shooting, with added Active Mode to support especially difficult handheld movie shooting
- World’s brightest and largest(10) new 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED electronic viewfinder
- Side Opening variable angle LCD screen enhances shooting flexibility
- Completely redesigned menu system with touch screen interface and touch operation
- High-speed continuous still image shooting at up to 10fps for more than 1,000 consecutive uncompressed RAW images with full AF / AE tracking
- Dual CFexpress Type A card slots that enable high speed data processing while keeping the compact size (also fits SD cards in the same slot)
Other things I noted that aren’t in the quick rundown.
Dedicated external White Balance Sensor
Base ISO of 80
Full size HDMI port
Select which settings carry over between stills and video, Aperture, Shutter, ISO, Exposure Comp, Metering mode, WB, Picture Profile, Focus Mode
Ability to support four channel audio
Articulating Screen (1.4mp)
USB-c port can charge the battery, or operate the camera, but not both at the same time.
Sensor Resolution 4240×2832, 4k Resolution: 3840×2160, hence the slight crop when shooting 4k video
Other Sony Tips
Juan, you’ve got a great video on your top 7 tips for setting up your Sony camera. I’d like to talk about a few of those. Here’s the link to the video: https://youtu.be/wjXj60u3RVw
Auto ISO Min Shutter Speed
What I wish Sony would do
Brent: I’d love for them to design a full frame 6000 model camera that is classically styled. The 7 line is great, the 6000 line is really good, but if they were to release a rangefinder style body I’m sure I’d be all over it.
For example, I’d love to get a Leica S2, but it’s so stinking expensive. Sony could really do some good here if they’d make a stills-focused camera like this. It can still do video, but focus the ergonomics on making the shoot more of a pleasure for a stills shooter.
Juan: Two things. 1. Join the rest of the photo manufacturers and allow us to update the firmware by simply loading a file on a memory card, let’s get away from having to tether to a computer to update the firmware. 2. Keep improving the AF speed and accuracy. While the current crop of cameras have the best AF performance of any previous camera, there is still room for improvement.
Juan: TechWrap https://travel9to5.com/shop/techwrap-combo/ easily the best camera gear wraps. The right amount of protection with a soft microfiber suede interior. They come in two sizes. Great way to add protection to your gear without the bulk.
Brent: Memory card wallet by Think Tank Photo. I use the secure pixel pocket rocket, but they have three others to choose from. It holds a bunch of cards and I even use it to hold a couple of small tools as well. Great way to keep things organized.
- masterphotographypodcast.com is the home for the show, you will want to go there and check it out
- Facebook group is Master Photography Podcast, can search for it on Facebook or you can go to masterphotographypodcast.com and there are links there.
- Instagram account for the show is @masterphotographypodcast
- Find Brent over at brentbergherm.com and on instagram @BrentBergherm
- There’s one day left to buy the Master Photo Printing course and get a code for one year of access to Latitude Photography School once it’s released. https://brentbergherm.com/training-center/course-info/master-photo-printing/
- Find Juan at: https://juanpons.org
- Find him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juanpons
- Join the Photo Therapy Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/190361645584015
- Images in Focus YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwxX4-m1RQOBH8gKOICO1Sw
Juan’s own YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wildnaturephoto